Read what the critics had to say about Kirstin's recent performances:
Der Fliegende Holländer - Longborough Festival Opera, June 2018
"Kirstin Sharpin’s full-throttle, 100%-committed Senta — portrayed as a wide-eyed innocent rather than a man-eating fanatic — easily steals the vocal honours with her big, bright dramatic soprano."
- Hugh Canning, The Sunday Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/classical-review-lohengrin-longborough-festival-opera-aldeburgh-festival-t565t3wqz
"The New Zealander soprano Kirstin Sharpin is Senta, a role horribly difficult to sing. She responded very well indeed to the brutal challenge: hers is a voice fit for heavy duty, and she gives her obsessive ballad all the hysterical intensity it requires, as well as scaling the giddier heights of Act 3 fair and square."
- Rupert Christiansen, The Telegraph https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opera/what-to-see/der-fliegende-hollander-review-longborough-festival-opera-production/
"Everything perked up when we moved to Act Two — no scenery, by the way, just threatening clouds — and Senta’s ballad, sung with superb incisiveness and intensity by Kirstin Sharpin. The climactic duet between her and the Dutchman — she determined to sacrifice herself for him ‘whoever he may be’, he incredulous but half-believing that he has found ‘the Angel’ he has so long sought — was marvellous, magnetic for us as for them."
- Michael Tanner, The Spectator https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/longborough-continues-to-be-a-refuge-for-british-wagnerians-fleeing-idiotic-productions/
"The third, a soprano, was making her Wagnerian stage debut. As Senta, the opera's biggest and most emotionally demanding role, Kirstin Sharpin combined the power and control of a true dramatic soprano with vocal grace and beauty under pressure. She sang tirelessly and magnificently, and I'd sail the seven seas to hear her again."
- Mark Valencia, Whats On Stage https://www.whatsonstage.com/birmingham-theatre/reviews/review-der-fliegende-hollnder-the-flying-dutchman-_46782.html
"Kirstin Sharpin...gives a storming performance otherwise, her eyes blazing as fiercely as her fortissimo top notes."
-Richard Morrison, The Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/opera-review-der-fliegende-hollaender-at-longborough-sggkr0qkp
"Kirstin Sharpin, already noted for her concert appearances in his early operas with Chelsea Opera Group, was performing her first fully staged Wagner role. With a glinting voice of a youthful sheen, like bracing Nordic air, she was entirely convincing as the obsessed dreamer, Senta. She paced herself well and managed those climactic descending phrases at the end of the “Wie aus der Ferne” duet skilfully where better known names have come to grief."
- John Johnston, Bachtrack https://bachtrack.com/review-fliegende-hollander-guthrie-negus-sharpin-longborough-festival-opera-june-2018
"As Senta, Kirstin Sharpin’s soprano glistens as it can be imbued with the utmost sensitivity or the greatest passion and strength"
- Sam Smith, Music OMH https://www.musicomh.com/classical/reviews-classical/der-fliegende-hollander-longborough-festival-opera-longborough
"For me, the ultimate star of the evening was Kirstin Sharpin, who was simply astounding as Senta, conveying with her acting and her singing the strength and feistiness of the character, the attraction of the mystical and the mythical for her, as well as Senta’s allure and beauty. Her voice is stunning, with a clean and laser-like cutting edge allied to the warmth of sound. She is utterly secure musically and a fine actress as well. She has total control of all her vocal and dramatic means, and some of her high-note pianissimi were breathtaking. Hers was a performance of beauty in every aspect. This is going to be a career to watch."
- Mel Cooper, Plays to See https://playstosee.com/der-fliegende-hollander-2/
"Hers was an intense interpretation and Sharpin believably often appeared utterly possessed by her character’s innermost thoughts and feelings."
- Seen and Heard International http://seenandheard-international.com/2018/06/anthony-neguss-conducting-allows-longboroughs-der-fliegende-hollander-to-conquer-high-seas/
"Kirstin Sharpin is a radiant, fresh-voiced Senta"
- Stephen Walsh, The Arts Desk https://theartsdesk.com/opera/der-fliegende-holl%C3%A4nder-longborough-festival-review-stand-and-deliver-empty-stage
"After this compelling Act I the gentle Summ’ und Brumm’ of the spinning maids in Daland’s house contrasts beautifully with the visceral passion shown by Kirstin Sharpin as Senta, making her Longborough debut, her duet with the Dutchman showing a gripping intensity....in this production Senta’s determination to remain faithful unto death is clearly accomplished, and the final moments are tremendously moving....As good a production of Dutchman as I ever remember seeing, with outstanding performances by Simon Thorpe and Kirstin Sharpin. Winner of the Wagner Voices competition at Karlsruhe in 2015 and a compelling Leonore at Buxton in 2016, Ms Sharpin showed such power and commitment that we may all expect to hear more of her in future Wagner roles."
- Mark Ronan http://www.markronan.com/2018/06/der-fliegende-hollander-longborough-festival-opera-lfo-june-2018/
"Kirstin Sharpin flings out sensational high notes as if there is no tomorrow"
-Peter Reed, Classical Source http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_concert_review.php?id=15514